Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Ava Riley Brings the Spooky and the Heat


Ava Riley is the Amazon bestselling author of erotic romance. She writes the dirty stuff that keeps you up at night, longing for that kind of romance. Her latest releases are Triple Shot, the the third book in her hot doctors series and Leesea’s Books and Babbles, the first in her paranormal Camric Series. I’m lucky enough to be a personal friend of Ava’s, so nabbing her for an interview was easy as pie. *smiles*

To celebrate her success, I'm giving away a copy of Leesea's Books and Babbles. Read to the end to find out how to enter. 

JJ:    Hi Ava!  Thanks so much for making margaritas and taking some time to chat with me. I know you bring the heat in your stories. Tell us where your inspiration comes from. Real life? Imagination?

Ava: Thank you for having me, Jan. I appreciate you letting me stop by.  Where does my inspiration come from?  Hmmm, I’d have to say a little of both worlds.  The imagination inspires the real life stuff then in turn flows onto the pages.
                                         
JJ:    I’ve read your books. You like the sexy men in medicine. However, you recently branched out into the paranormal realm. What prompted that and what can we expect from this new venture?

Ava: I read a lot of paranormal and really enjoy that genre.  I was always a little afraid of writing it for fear of my writing sounding copycatted.  I actually found that I am more comfortable writing paranormal (with a touch of erotic) than I am straight erotic romance.  My readers can expect the same heat in the bedroom (or the bookstore as they will see in Leesea’s Books and Babbles), as they have in my other series.  Romance is just as strong an element as the paranormal.

JJ:    You’re a mom, a wife, a full time student and a writer. I know coffee keeps you moving. What’s “A Day in the Life of Ava Riley” like?

Ava: Oy vey!  I literally go non-stop from six am to usually eleven or twelve at night.  Between dropping kids at school, my own school schedule of being on campus 5 days a week for 5 ½ hours, then soccer, cooking, cleaning, homework daily, it is a pretty crazy life.  Plus, I still have to find that time with the husband (who by the way is amazingly supportive).  I usually don’t get to write until late at night.  I love wearing all the hats I am at the time though and can’t imagine my life any other way. 

JJ:    When you have precious down time, what entertains you?

Ava: Downtime?  What’s that? LOL  Actually, usually when I have downtime (or at least make time to relax) I read or spend time with the family.  I set a goal this year to read 50 books and I have almost reached it.  I think in order to be a good writer, you have to read.

JJ:    You write super hot sex and deep, realistic characters. Tell us about your writing process? Any rituals or habits?

Ava: Well, thank you!  Coffee is the beginning of my writing process.  Some writers consume alcohol to get in the mood to write, but I need a good cup of coffee.  I have also found (and this is odd, I know) that in order for me to get the literary juices flowing I need to have my hair in a ponytail.  Other than that, I just sit down late at night and write.  I need it to be quiet and that doesn’t happen in my house until after 9 pm.

JJ:    Who are your favorite writers? Any particular authors influence your writing?

Ava:  Lara Adrian is the only writer I go/have gone fan girl over.  I love her writing, but I also enjoy my good friend Melissa Ecker’s books as well.   As far as influencing my writing, I’d have to say that Lara and Jeaniene Frost have had the biggest impact on my writing.  They always write very strong heroine characters and very hot hero characters.

JJ:    When can your fans expect a new book from you? Anything in the works you can share with us?

Ava: My next book, which is a paranormal romance novella – Leesea’s Books and Babbles – is now available.  This is the first in the Camric Series and I am working on the following books in the series (as my school schedule permits).

JJ:    Any last words of wisdom?

Ava: I would just like to say to those aspiring writers out there that if I could bestow on you one bit of wisdom from my journeys as a writer, it is to first and foremost stay true to yourself and write what you write.  Sometimes people will come along and try to dissuade you from following your heart, don’t let them.  And secondly, a lesson I have had to learn (and am still learning) is that in this business you have to have thick skin.  People aren’t always nice about your writing and sometimes it hurts like hell, but you have to take the constructive criticism and leave the rest of the junk behind.

Lightning Round Favorites:

Drink:  Coffee
Color:  Purple
Season: Fall (used to be summer, but now I’m old & get hot easily)
Flavor: Coffee
Book: Just one?  Darker After Midnight by Lara Adrian
Movie:  A Christmas Story
Band:  Chris Young (although he’s just one person)

Thanks again, Ava. You always warm my heart with your genuineness.  I’m giving away a copy of Leesea’s Books and Babbles. To enter, leave a comment at the bottom!

To keep up with the latest happenings of Ava Riley, follow her on Twitter @AvaRileyRomance and check out her website.
  
Her books are available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble as well as other outlets. Go get ‘em! Good stuff, y’all! 

1 comment: