Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Carrie Clevenger Bares All...Literally and Figuratively



 Whoa! Okay, pull your eyes away from that sexy pic for a just a minute. Imagine if Anne Rice and Stephen King had a love child. Now you have an idea of the caliber of talent that urban fantasy author Carrie Clevenger embodies. Carrie is the author of the recently released novel Crooked Fang and I was lucky enough to grab her for a few questions.

JJ:    Hi Carrie!  I’m so thrilled to have you on the blog. Crooked Fang is one of my favorite books. Tell me where the inspiration for Xan came from.

Carrie:  Xan has been around since about 2001. I’d already received inspiration, a seed if you will, from a few sources, primarily musical. Type O Negative’s Christian Woman video was one of them, but Xan is no Peter Steele. I thought of a bass playing vampire, tall, because many bass players tend to be larger men (at least from what I’ve seen). He needed a place and location to live, so I went hunting online. I picked Colorado at random, plus it just felt right. While checking out real estate listings, I came upon Winks Lodge which was at that time posted for sale. The place was absolutely perfect. A vampire that played bass and lived in a tavern-lodge. Over the past eleven years, he’s evolved into a smart-mouthed asshole with a streak of white knight running through him even though I’m sure he’d never admit that freely.
                                         
JJ:    What’s your writing process like?  Do you have any rituals or certain things that help your process along?

Carrie:  Usually I need music. There are times I’ll have a song stuck in my head and I have to either play the song or buy it. Which ends up in me buying an album. I write either on my desktop or my laptop (currently a sexy paperweight thanks to technical issues) and just let the words flow. If there aren’t any to be had, I don’t force it. I’m an inspiration-based writer only.

JJ:    In addition to being a fairly prolific writer, I know you’re a wife, a mom and hold down a full time job. What’s “A Day in the Life of Carrie” like?

Carrie:  Chaos. Careful time-management. I have to split my life into several boxes, including mother, full time employee, and writer. IN addition, there’s promotion that has to be done. Guest blog posts, Facebook, Twitter, communication with quite a bit of incoming emails and queries for different things. I can’t always accomplish everything as quickly as I like but I have to remember to take a deep breath and tell myself I’m only human.     

JJ:    When you’re not writing, what do you do for fun?

Carrie:  Fun? What is this “fun” you speak of? Haha. Mostly it’s music-related fun, whether it be seeing live shows, hunting down new albums, listening to music or thinking about it. We can honestly say Xan has an effect on me.

JJ:   The pictures of you and Sasha are smoking hot. How was the modeling experience?

Carrie:  OMG. Incredibly awkward and painful! We see pictures of svelte femme bombshells and rarely take the time to consider how impossible a pose might be until we try it. Looks good, but take the goddamn picture please before I scream or fall over. Ha.

JJ:   Xan Marcelles is a fantastic character. I understand the next Crooked Fang book is currently in the works. When do you expect to give your readers another dose of Xan? Any chance of you sharing an excerpt?

Carrie:  The next Crooked Fang book is in the works. I haven’t settled on a definite plot structure quite yet, but if you follow Crooked Fang on Facebook, I post excerpts at times.

JJ:    I enjoy your Friday Flashes, particularly the 27 stories. Will Ren and Stein have their own book at some point? 

Carrie:  YES. The stories, which combine to form this bigger separate universe have tickled the base of my brain for about two years now. I’ve done a little bit of Ren’s story but it was put aside when Crooked Fang again rose to the forefront.

Lightning Round Favorites:

Drink:  COFFEE
Color:  Blue. I wonder why.
Season:  Autumn
Flavor:  Vanilla
Book: The Good Earth, by Pearl S Buck
Movie:  Goodfellas
Band: TOOL, Type O Negative and about five hundred others

Thanks again, Carrie. It’s always a pleasure talking with you.   

For buy links to Crooked Fang and Carrie’s other books, click here. Check out the awesome merchandise available too!

To keep up with the latest happenings of Carrie Clevenger, follow her on Twitter @CarrieClevenger, check out her website www.crookedfang.com and subscribe to her blog www.carrieclevengerstories.com

To get to know Xan Marcelles follow him on Twitter @CrookedFang and like him on Facebook
  

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this interview -- what a description "love child" between Rice and King. Yes, I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete