Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chasing Scarlet Chase

Photo by Julia Trotti

There’s a new and exciting band coming out of Sydney, Australia. I’m so pleased to welcome Scarlet Chase to the blog. I chased Chrissy, Dan and Matt and pinned them down on what we all want to know about this musical sensation.

Check it out, y’all.


JJ:    Let’s start with introductions. The lovely and bubbly Chrissy is on vocals, guitar and piano. Dan plays guitar and session drums. Matt completes the trio on bass guitar.  The three of you have an excellent dynamic. I know you’ve been playing together since last year, how did you meet?


Chrissy: Thanks for having us! Yes, we’ve been jamming together for a little while now and it all started last year when I was doing my solo thang and got over it really quickly. Though there was a lot of success doing my solo project and I was working doing Football Stadium gigs etc., I didn’t want to go through the ‘journey’ on my own, so to speak. I auditioned for an old band that Dan and Matt had been a part of for the previous four years, walked in, nailed the songs (or so I hope :P) and the rest is history!

Matt: Well, Dan and I met four to five years ago. We were enrolled in a music course which eventually led to both of us completing an Advanced Diploma in Music and Diplomas in Technical Production. We were actually involved together in a band as part of that course. This led to us forming a band outside of the course and auditioning Chrissy as a singer. This project wrapped up late last year and we all decided that we wanted to continue working together because we were so similar in our drive, motivation and goals. Thus, Scarlet Chase was born.

DanMatt and I trekked Sydney's live scene with our previous band when we met Chrissy while holding an audition for a front woman with a "badass attitude." Bam! History.

JJ:    I love the fact you have a female lead. Who are your biggest musical influences and why?

Chrissy: Haha. That’s an interesting one. One of my biggest influences, personally, is Lizzy Hale of Halestorm. These guys aren’t anywhere NEAR as known as they should be! Also, personally, I love Alanis Morissette, Damone. Musically though, I love a bit of everything. Sick Puppies, Nirvana, Old School Silverchair.

 

Dan:  We all have common influences and that’s a huge part of 'sticking on the same page' when it comes to writing tunes, pre-production, the live show and the business side. We're honoured to be mentioned alongside the likes of Halestorm and Killing Heidi. Our main influences, when in a writing session, come from each other. It's all about pushing each other musically and mentally to come up with the next tune, riff or groove to "Hit-The-Spot." That doesn't mean we don't listen to an obsessive amount of Halestorm in our down time though. And, I can be seen groovin' to Against Me! Electric Six and The Creepshow when it comes to rippin' guitar lines, energy and solid 'no bullshit' drums. 

Matt: On a personal level, my influences lean towards the Industrial genre. I mean, I look up to guys like Jeordie White on an instrumental level ‘cause I used to have a huge obsession with Marilyn Manson and always thought he was the coolest guy in the world. As I got older, I discovered that he'd worked with Trent Reznor as a member of the live incarnation of Nine Inch Nails and after watching the Beside You In Time DVD, I found that I still draw an influence from him. Tim Skold is another of my favorites. The fact he is a multi-instrumentalist and producer also adds more of a business influence, for lack of a better term.  There are probably a whole lot more influences I could list. Skold and White are probably the most prominent of them all.

JJ:    Recording your debut album must be exciting. What’s “A Day in the Life of Scarlet Chase” like?

Chrissy:  Hmm…Well, I guess the only way to answer that is by checking out our website at scarletchase.com. There, you’ll find a few promo videos that show us in our true light. Haha. We’re really excited to be working on the album. It’s bigger than anything we’ve done before and we’re damn proud of what we’ve come up with. As far as a day in the life? Well, we’re all very hardworking, supportive and motivating individuals. We’re an independent band, so we very much rely on one another to get things done. Spend a day with us! You’ll see how crazy things can get! J

Matt:  One word. Insane. When I occasionally get the odd moment to sit back and take a look at how my life has progressed over the years, I'm honestly quite humbled by how much has been accomplished. There are very few people who, at the age of 22, can say they've just built a recording studio, are in the process of recording an album, all whilst integrating the more mundane tasks of day to day life along with a whole host of other things. Throw in the fact that I've managed to do so with two of the most amazing people in the world who've become family for me and I start to feel a little mushy. Overall, though, a day in our shoes is probably best loosely termed as “interesting.”

JJ:    When you’re not locked up in the studio, what entertains Scarlet Chase?

Chrissy:   We’re ALWAYS in the studio! Haha. Personally, I run a music website promoting primarily unsigned Sydney bands (www.themoshpitmusic.com) and when I’m not in the studio, I always have a guitar or keyboard on hand! Hmm…Dan does a little of everything. He’s definitely our “all-rounder.” If he’s not working in the studio, he’s shredding on guitar, or out on a photo shoot with his amazing girl (and funnily enough, our photographer) Jules. Otherwise, everything from running our website to homely renovations! As far as Matt goes…well, we aren’t too sure what Matt get’s up to in his spare time. I know he loves long walks on the beach…. Haha.

Matt: Not in the studio? Are you kidding? We live in it! Aside from the huge amount of time I spend with my two fellow mischief makers in the studio or rehearsing and so on and so forth, life outside those four walls usually consists of some form of errand running, mechanical endeavors involving lots of tantrums and throwing of tools, jamming in some work on bass and the occasional long walk on a moonlit beach after a romantic candlelit dinner and talking about my feelings.

Dan: Not at Chase Studios? Our couch is already forming a mould of our back sides! Writing sessions, rehearsals, recording sessions, business meetings, photo shoots, mixdown sessions, you name it, we're there. I’m in the studio working even when I should be getting those few minutes of sleep I need to stay alive. If I don’t have a client in, you'll find me discussing world domination with my better half, photographer Julia Trotti, writing short film scores or groovin' on the skins to Willie Dixon. Matt claims he has the occasional long walk on a moonlit beach after a romantic candle lit dinner and even has the time to talk about his feelings but he's usually found tinkering with his motorbike (what that really means is it's broken and needs attention otherwise it may self destruct, this also leads to a large amount of tantrums and "throwing of the tools").

JJ:    You guys are so friendly with people on Twitter. How has social media helped you build your fan base?

Photo by Julia Trotti
Chrissy:  Social media today is what can make or break a band. I mean, you only have to look at the likes of Justin Bieber to see how quickly you can become a YouTube hit! Our Twitter fans, our Facebook fans, etc., they mean the world to us. At the end of the day, we’re musicians but we’re just people, too. We consider our fans to be our friends. We try to keep in touch as much as possible and answer questions when we see them. The support online has been immense, it has helped us score interviews, such as this one! :P

Matt:  In today's day and age, social media is one of the most important tools in a band’s publicity arsenal. Without it, you'd be limiting yourself to a very small and select audience with only a few different ways of marketing yourself. I mean, we've got friends from all around the world and when I say friends, I mean it sincerely. I always found that I was drawn more to bands who actually gave a damn about the people who loved their music. You get what you give and by actually allowing people to talk to you online, it allows you to connect with them on an entirely new level. So in terms of exposure, social media has been amazingly effective for us in reaching the audience that we wanted to reach.

JJ:    I really enjoyed your promo videos on YouTube and am anxious to get my hands on more! When can your fans expect your album to drop?

Chrissy:  The videos were a lot of fun. Long time friend and director Daniel Saboune helped us with those. We think he’s a genius! As far as the album goes, our first single Like It Rough is set to hit iTunes in the coming weeks. Keep watching the Twitter feed for news!

DanThe promo videos are our way of integrating “thank yous” to all our fans off the back of a new tune. We like to think of it as an insight into the world of Scarlet Chase, too. We'll also be testing some new tunes on our live Stickam shows online.

MattWell we've started rolling with some of the pre-production on the album. So, barring any unforeseen and bizarre obstacles including, but not limited to, alien abduction or out of body experiences, we should have an album ready in the next few months. As is the nature with these things, I don't want to jump the gun and start giving dates only to have to disappoint anyone but the album is on its way!

Lightning Round Favorites:


Chrissy:

Drink:  Green Tea
Color:   SCARLET!
Season: Summer
Flavor:  Hazelnut Chocolate hahaha
Movie:  4-way tie-Almost Famous/Rockstar/The Sweetest Thing/Inglorious Bastards
Band: 4-way tie- Blink 182/Nirvana/Halestorm/Sick Puppies

Dan:
                    
Drink: Black Percolated Coffee 
Color: Whites & Blacks 
Season: Winter 
Flavor: Anything Caffeine, Indian or Mexican related
Movie: The White Stripes: Under Blackpool Lights; Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Tell me what Rockers to Swallow; and, the recent addition of Halestorm's: Live in Philly. 
Band: Against Me! and Electric Six. Every Song: Word for Word..... Others to mention, Bluejuice, Scissor Sisters, Ted Leo + The Pharmacists, Graveyard Train.

Matt:

Drink: Mother
Color: A delightful combination of fluro pinks, yellows and
Lavender, all artfully concealed with black.
Season: Winter
Flavor: Mocha
Movie: It changes constantly, but at the moment, Freddy
Got Fingered. I recently saw Tom Green live and it just
reignited my love of this movie.
Band: As with above, this one is constantly changing.
Currently, I'm really into Korpiklaani. Those guys are
amazing. All time favorites are probably Nine Inch
Nails and Rammstein, in equal measure.

I had a great time with y’all. You gave me lots of laughs and I love how down to earth and humble you all are. It was truly a pleasure. Thanks again.   

Stay tuned for Scarlet Chase’s new single Like it Rough to drop on iTunes. Check them out on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @Scarlet_Chase To be in the know, sign up for their newsletter at www.scarletchase.com


1 comment:

  1. I love multi-point of view interviews. Best wishes for Scarlet Chase. xx

    ReplyDelete